What precautions can caregivers take to avoid hot-car deaths?
1. Place personal articles such as purses, cell phones and briefcases on the backseat to ensure that you look in that area before leaving the car.
2. Seat your younger children behind the front passenger seat where they are more likely to be in your eyesight.
3. Keep a reminder such as a stuffed animal in your child’s seat when your child is not in the seat. Place the object on the front seat when the baby is on board as a reminder.
4. Request that your sitter or staff at your child care program call to check on your baby when they are not present.
5. Start a routine of opening your back door to check the backseat before leaving your car.
6. Make sure that the doors to all parked vehicles are locked at all times.
7. Hang keys out of reach of young children.
If you see a child that has been left alone in a vehicle, do not hesitate to get involved. Call 911 or your local emergency number immediately.