If your baby is not sleeping through the night by about 3 months of age, take a look at the following tips:
- Keep your baby awake longer during the afternoon and early evening. Play actively and allow your baby to remain in the room with the rest of the family. This will lessen the chances that your baby will drift off to sleep too early.
- Make sure your baby takes a full feeding before bed so that she does not wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
- Don’t hurry to the baby’s side every time you hear a whimper. Babies cycle between light and deep sleep throughout the night. Give your baby a chance to settle back down without your help.
- When your baby does wake at night keep activity to a minimum. Do not play or talk with your infant and use just enough light to manage.
- If your baby is waking up very early in the morning try putting dark shades on the windows to keep the morning sun out.
- Keep a regular bed-time routine. Give a warm bath, feed and sing or rock your baby at the same time each night. This establishes a pattern for easier bedtime with fewer challenges later on.