Ways that parents can help their children focus on homework:
- Help your child select an appropriate, comfortable place to do homework.
- Keep homework supplies close to the designated homework area. Supplies could include pencils, pens, a ruler, a dictionary, a thesaurus, glue, scissors, etc.
- Minimize distractions in the homework area. For in stance, turn off televisions, radios and cell phones. Provide a small snack to prevent hunger.
- Establish a routine. Schedule an allotted time for homework each day. If your child has no homework on a given day, suggest that he read or study during the allotted homework time.
- Make yourself available for assistance, but avoid doing your child’s homework for them.
- Record important deadlines on a calendar and check it daily.
- Show an interest in your child’s work.
- Reward progress.